The Centre for Open Distance and e-Learning (CODeL) was established in 2011 as a synergy among the major stakeholders in order to achieve the mission and vision of the University's distance learning programmes. The Centre for Open Distance and E-Learning is the Administrative Unit for all distance learning programmes of Federal University of Technology, Minna and is accountable for all programme management and delivery process to provide all necessary learner support services. The Centre serves as the hub for the University's distance learning programmes. The Centre for Open Distance and e-Learning is been managed by a Director who is directly responsible to the University's Vice Chancellor.
Among other activities, the Centre performs the following functions:
- Promote, plan, direct, and coordinate the provision of distance learning
- Liaise with the Departments, Centres and the Postgraduate School in the development of appropriate programmes
- Facilitate the recruitment and training of full-time and part-time staff required for course development, production and implementation
- Manage and oversee the development and delivery of distance education through the study centres which are operational centres for students' registration, advisement, administration of residential session and other forms of face-to face contact
- Facilitate the distribution of study materials and administer marking assignments to ensure two-way communication between students and their tutors
- Maintain an accurate and comprehensive record system of systems, material production and records of study centres
- Administer examinations and process students' results in conjunction with relevant departments, faculties, and the Postgraduate School
- Write handbook for students, course writers, tutors, and study centre coordinators.
- Liaise with the University library in the provision of library services at the study centres.
- Collaborate with other institutions to provide laboratory facilities and equipment for distance learners
- Provide accountability reports and statistics on enrolment, finances, retention, graduation, etc., on the operation of the distance learning programmes.
- Where appropriate schedule on-campus orientation for distance learners and part-time tutors.
- Perform programme review every three years to keep abreast of global developments and to improve programme quality, effectiveness and efficiency.
- Administer programmes for and on behalf of its partner Institutions.